Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Great Northwest

Guitars: Colorblind James, G. Elwyn Meixner, Phil Marshall
Upright bass: Bernie Heveron
Drums: Jimmy Mac
Vocals: Colorblind James

"I'll probably shave my eyebrows and cut off all my hair"

There we were in Edinburgh, Scotland playing a very well received show when, upon hearing those words, a row of about 4 or 5 young chaps promptly lifted off their hats to reveal freshly shaved domes. After the show, the backstage was swamped with fans. The crew of baldies said they'd shaved their heads especially for the show and because of that song. Now THOSE are fans!

There was another fellow at that show who was quite in his cups and he seemed to be particularly interested in whether or not I was Catholic or Protestant. Our tour manager stood behind him and looking at me, shook his head mouthing "NO!" as in "don't get into it with him". Truth be known, I think we were about the most poly-religious-non-religious band around. Chuck would often argue that 'spirit' ws the only thing that mattered at a show. Execution was important, but secondary (i.e. a sloppy but spirited show trumps a note-perfect dull show every time).

This version of Great Northwest sounds so much faster and bouncier than what it evolved into. Not that it changed much notewise, but it developed a deeper groove played at a slightly slower tempo.

The Great Northwest was the official album closer ending w/ the intrepid narrator leaving the mess of civilization behind in search, perhaps, for a new Eden. The cd was extended with the single "Sophisticated/The Havoc Theme". While it being a fun record in its own right, and the first official recording of the new line-up, the fade ending of The Great Northwest is lost as the perfect final statement of the record.


Great Northwest
Words and Music © Chuck Cuminale

Then things get all confused
Then things get all shook up
You lose your sense of balance
And find yourself upside down
Turn on your water faucet
All this green stuff falls out
And when you try to speak
The words will not make sense

I’m not a big disaster
I get my work all done
Sometimes I don’t show up, though
And I don’t even call in
My fellow workers hate me
I know it’s not their fault
I’ve got to hide my paycheck
Or they’ll try to rip it up

I do not save my money
That makes my wife upset
I like to spend my wages
The very first chance I get
Sometimes they cut my power
They turn my phone off too
And sometimes I am threatened
‘Round when the rent is due

But I won’t be ruled by hatred
I will not live in fear
When my burden gets too heavy
I’ll simply disappear
I’ll probably shave my eyebrows
And cut off all my hair
And paint myself to blend in
The Great Northwest somewhere

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello

Don Argus said...

Happy Buster Cornelius Day from the Great Northwest!

Don in Seattle